Wednesday 17 September 2014

Home ed diary day 3

We've been making the most of the glorious 23 degrees Celsius sunshine today before Autumn really sets in and spent most of today outdoors. It's been glorious weather today. 

B did a quick level on maths seeds when he first got up (recognising the number 7) and then we did some gluing - a tooth craft to support the learning we've been doing about teeth and healthy eating. Oh and we read about a hundred books whilst waiting for friends to arrive. 


We then headed to the park/rec with our best friends plus the dog in tow and spent a rather interesting morning together. E has been extremely emotional today; what started out as a general grumpiness, which I attributed to our regular drama workshop being cancelled this morning, continued into taking out those negative feelings on your closest friends (I'm not talking about myself, honest!) There was much tormenting and eventual fisticuffs at one point that we all felt very drained by the time we came home. This was topped off with a full on sobbing into the sofa (again, not me 😉) when our friends had gone and a general sombre mood from E for the rest of the day. Even my normally not terribly observant 22 yr old son noticed there was much "brooding and listening to rock music" coming from the 7 year old's room today. Is 7 a particularly hormonal stage for boys? I must do a bit of reading up. 

Anyway, it was a real opportunity for me to talk to E about feelings and how we handle them and how we sometimes take our feelings of upset, anger, isolation, disappointment, (the list here is endless) out on our closest friends without even realising we're doing it. (I should like to apologise at this point to my Dad for all the years of being so awful to you when all I really wanted to tell you was that I loved you most in the world). 

This afternoon we popped to see another friend for a much needed change of scenery and had some therapeutic cups of tea, playing,  trampolining and jigsaw puzzling. 

Wednesdays is gymnastics day and both boys thoroughly enjoy their hour of "after school" gymnastics at the local club and I enjoy a good natter and crochet with a lovely home educating mummy friend of mine who always brings a little spark of light and love to my day for that hour every week. 

That was hump day. More antics tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment